Apparently, 2018 is the most remarkable year in which innovative and creative web design trends are followed. All this has bettered the user experience and enhanced the functionality of the website on the whole. This is the year of web design evolution with designs trends such as Design Systems and Tactile Designs. Apart from that, the retro design trends are replaced with fun and energetic styles to provide a perfect blend of the two era and genres.
It is, therefore, crucial to know what is happening in the web design segment and what the prospects of it are in the future.
Component Based Design Systems
Most of the companies now are building their own website and if you are not one of them, the chances are high that you will start yours soon. With better design systems and tools, it is now easy to promote a better and more effective natural progression. Use of innovative style guides and pattern libraries you can satisfy your needs and at the same time meet with that of your clients.
In the modern web design system, there are several elements including design standards and documentation. Apart from that it also includes one of the central advantages of the UI toolkit that comes with different patterns and useful codes. The design systems are aimed to ensure consistency in the websites in telling stories and passing on the important messages. Whatever be the organization or the product, these systems are very useful across all of them and even with individual products providing the optimal design solutions to a website in any given situation.
A Living Component
Any design system is a living component that can change according to the requirement to update. Experts believe that a few of these areas may change and whenever any better and new solutions are revealed in the design system being a living document will constantly update itself. In practical terms the design system is broken into four areas:
- Product principles: These are approaches and mission statements to the product design. It puts the merchant first and lays emphasis on the accessibility.
- Written content: This is a style guide for the written materials including spelling, grammar, voice, tone. It also considers the target reading levels.
- Visual properties: It includes all color, typography, icons, image guidelines, chart presentation.
- Components: This is the nitty-gritty details that include the design patterns and their norm. It also contains the quick-copy code.
- Process To Create A Design System
- The designers follow a specific process to create a design system. It starts and ends with:
- Creating UI inventory: This process involves going through all products and listing all design patterns used along with rectifying any inconsistencies.
- Get support: Presenting the findings to all on board helps in estimating the number of designs that are redundant and the engineering hours wasted on it. Methods are streamlined to improve the NPS scores.
- Establish design principles: Principles that govern the company are consolidated and answers to it are included in a master list.
- Building color palette: You will need to standardize and build your color palette by color codes precisely and also agree on a universal naming convention.
- Build typographic scale: You must fine tune the font size, weight, line-height and others to establish a concrete rule for the displaying text.
- Implement icons: You must implement library, icons and other styles and revisit the initial UI inventory to carry over selected icons and design patterns.
- Building your first patterns: It is after the audit of your pattern library the actual building process starts. You must select the best choices that will reflect your company, products and customers in the best possible way.
At this juncture, you must know that a design system is never complete and is never fully finished. You will have to update it periodically and also keep an eye out for areas of improvement.
Shapes and Layers
Use of different polygonal shapes and geometric layers is the new web design trends of 2018. The more focus on geometric themes has resulted in layered shapes. For this, you must put in a precise definition even if you use floating triangles and squares. You can use both regular and irregular geometric shapes along with the basic patterns such as grids and planes. The specific components include:
- Simple geometry – These simple and original shapes are used instead of filling the whole screen that will bring a subtle effect to the design and provide a more natural visual flow and create more dynamic screen on the whole.
- Bold Lines – Adding bold lines will grab attention as it will highlight things better. If this is used correctly, it can draw attention to the corresponding image.
- Color and intersection points – When using bold lines make sure that you pay attention to colors and intersections. Proper color will determine the way of attention towards the lines and intersection points will become the inherent focal points.
- Detailing – This is the trend followed by designers who do not want a full geometric aesthetic. Using the polygons and other geometric layers designers make great button icons and secondary graphics.
The origin and types of tactile design are very interesting and its use is even more interesting. Ideally, the same principle of Material Design is followed but in a more modernized way. It is more of a developed skeuomorphism trend of the early 2010s. The use of this feature makes the thing look real in a digital space. The common components and features of tactile designs include a lot of things. The most significant of all is that modern designs have No borders just like in the real world. Everything is taken in totality and specific elements such as the text cross over from one screen to another. To make this work, designers use a lot of space so that visitors know what to click and where it will take them. This is the reason you will see lots of negative or white space in a design.
Latest posts by mariajones049 (see all)
- Guide for Designers about the Latest Trends in Web Design - October 11, 2018